In the framework of the Rap and Beyond project, Beirut and Beyond (Lebanon) is looking for a Lebanon-based curator for a creative residency bringing together women and non-binary rap and hip hop artists from the Middle East and North Africa (MENA) region.
Rap and Beyond is a creative project whose goal is to reduce the gender gap in the rap and hip hop music in the MENA region. It is an initiative by Beirut and Beyond (Lebanon) and the National Museums of World Culture (Sweden), with the support of the Swedish Institute Creative Force programme.
🌀 Useful info
Residency duration: 7 days
Location: Lebanon (exact venue to be decided)
When: second-half of May 2023
Contract duration: 1 February - 30 May 2023.
Fees: 3,000 - 4,000 USD depending on experience and available budget.
- Participate in the selection process of the artists for the residency
- Design the programme of the residency in consultation with the project team
- Assist with the outreach for the open call for applications and nomination processes
- Communicate with selected residents in advance of their residency to plan and discuss goals for the residency
- Support the selection process of support musicians
- Organise in consultation with the local project team a programme of presentations, field trips, group trips, studio visits and workshops etc. for residents
- Assess and manage any special needs or access requirements for residents
- Propose venues for the public performances in Lebanon and liaise all the technical requirements with the selected ones
- Work with the Administrative Coordinator to ensure practical and hospitality needs for events are met
- Contribute to and edit texts in relation to the residency and public programme working with the Project team
- Liaise with the Project team in envisioning and delivering documentation of the programmes, including social media and PR
- Regular reporting to the project team about the residency progress
- Produce a final report
- At least an undergraduate qualification in art, curatorial studies or relevant area of audiovisual culture
- Previous experience in curating cultural events in Lebanon
- Proven experience in producing programmes in collaboration with others, knowing when to take lead and how to support others to reach a shared vision
- Good knowledge of the Rap and Hip Hop music scene in the Arab World
- Excellent organisational skills with particular attention to detail and capacity to multitask under pressure and in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to work independently, take initiative and be resourceful
- Excellent communication and ability to consistently manage artists with diplomacy and warmth
- Based in Lebanon and fluent in Arabic and English. Knowledge of French is an advantage
If you think that you’re The One, please fill in this application form. We are accepting applications until Monday 16 January 2023.
Interviews will be conducted in the third - fourth week of January 2023.
For more information/questions, please feel free to email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with “Rap & Beyond - Inquiry” as the subject line.